ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog Name Contest Closes

Back in November when I started blogging, I announced a contest to come up with a catchy name for my blog. I received many clever suggestions, and you might have wondered what was taking so long for me to make a decision. Fairly early on I had an email from artist Fulvia Luciano, recommending that I use my own name rather than a catchy name. I spent some time consulting with other bloggers and artists, and for now have concluded to not go with a catchy blog name. Why? Way back in 2002/2003 when I started my hand-dyed fabric business I started using the name "EQuarelle's Palette". It was quite difficult for folks to remember, always required me to spell and explain, and was just plain cumbersome. However, I still went ahead and bought the domain "equarelle" for my website. Today, eight years later, it is my teaching that is at the forefront of my business, and it is my name that is most important to find and remember. I don't want to make that mistake again, and I felt that having yet another "catchy" name besides "EQuarelle" is going to cause confusion. Incidentally, I have purchased the domain "Elaine Quehl", and you can now get to my website by either www.equarelle.ca or www.elainequehl.com. Eventually my website will be moved to elainequehl.com.

I'd like to credit a few of the creative individuals who came up with some of my favorite suggestions: "Acting Up" (Frances O'Neill), Natur-El (Albertina Pianarosa), "Nature Calling" (Ann Morrell), "Artist by Nature" (Sherry Boram), and Quehlude and Lady GoDYEva (my husband). Thank you so much for helping out, but at this time the meter of fabric goes to Fulvia Luciano, for it was her email that started me thinking about the whole matter of a catchy name. Oh, the other thing that I find frustrating sometimes is when I go to someone's blog and it has a catchy name but I can't figure out who the blog belongs to.

3 comments:

  1. Quehlude . I think your hubby deserves a prize of some sort for that suggestion! LOL!

    Barb Ramik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Barb, he has access to my hand-dyes if he wants them! He actually does have a piece as a dust cover for his guitar amplifier!!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well, guess I'm too late... but thought your blog should be something like "Thru Elaine's Eyes". Not catchy, but the blog is really about how you see things. Keep up the good work...Judy

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine