ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chaco Culture/Canyon

It's been a busy week, with a day of teaching, and lots of dyeing and ironing for the upcoming Ottawa Valley Quilters Show. Before time gets away from me, I wanted to share a few more inspirational pictures from my trip to New Mexico. As I mentioned, I went partly to attend the Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) Conference in Santa Fe, and partly to tour Santa Fe and New Mexico, and catch some of the sights I missed on a previous trip five years ago. 
We missed seeing the ruins of Chaco Culture/Canyon on our last trip as it was February and the road so muddy we almost got stuck.This trip New Mexico was experiencing a very dry April, so we made the drive. Two and a half hours northwest of Santa Fe on good roads, and then an hour on 16 miles of washboard dirt road.

Was it worth it? You bet! An afternoon of blue skies in the canyon that was home to thousands of people between 800 and 1200 AD.

Considering their age, the remains of Chaco Culture are still quite impressive, but they are fragile.

There are several ruins of pueblos scattered around the park

The main pueblo, Bonita Pueblo, is the most impressive and extensive. You can see the ruins of a kiva (underground ceremonial chamber) here.

One can step inside parts of the pueblo and gaze through multiple doorways down the length of the structure.


On one side the pueblos are protected by a large wall of rock. We found the structure below quite interesting, as it appears that this piece of rock is about to break away from the wall.
I hope you enjoyed these photos. I am heading back to the dyeing and ironing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine