ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Summer Sights, Part 1: Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

Wow, it has been a few weeks since I blogged. Aside from dyeing about 100 meters of fabric and working on some new patterns, in the last month I've just enjoyed summer and some beautiful sights. In this blog post and the next I'll share some photos of some inspirational places I've been in the past month, most of them pretty local. Today's post, however, contains photos from last week's vacation at the northern tip of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. 

I have to report that there was a lot of rain! These three photos, however, were taken on the one and only day that the sky was blue and almost cloudless. The first two show the beach at the cottage we stayed in Dingwall. Idyllic, no?  Peaceful?  Yes!  Pristine and unspoiled, my favorite kind of place.


A little walk out to White Point.

Boats in the harbour on the way to Meat cove.

The beautiful and magnificent Cabot Trail! It might have been cloudy, but at least it didn't rain that day! These photos were taken on the west side, heading toward Cheticamp.




We experienced several storms involving wind and driving rain. A couple of days we stayed close to the cottage. On our last day I finally stopped and photographed Dingwall Harbour. This is where the lobster fishermen park their boats. Very peaceful and beautiful even on a grey and cloudy day.







This photo was cropped out out of the above photo, when I noticed a beautiful little spiral under the dock.

I hope your summer included some beautiful sights! 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your experience in Cape Breton sounds a lot like ours 13 years ago. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a common experience for Cape Breton, although I was told they had 6 weeks of sunshine before we arrived!

      Delete
  2. lovely photos! you have captured such intimate details. makes me want to visit asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Elaine, this looks sooo inviting! We LOVE the Maritimes and keep talking aout returning

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very strange, i can never correct errors on your website! I make LOTS too so please forgive if me messages look strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I'm on my way to Cape Breton tomorrow and will be hiking that very trail at White Point in a few days......we stay nearby at Neil's Harbour. Can't wait....

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine