ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Salt Spring Island

 
After Edmonton, I flew to Vancouver Island, where I spent a couple of days with Daphne Greig before heading on to my teaching trip to Salt Spring Island. We spent a day at Butchart Gardens. I took a lot of photos, which I am going to share when I have time to view and crop them properly.

The ferry ride from Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island to Salt Spring Island is a short 25 minute ride. It ended up raining later that day.
 
The next morning I woke to a glorious summer day, with no humidity. I love the weather here as it is comfortably warm with a coolish breeze, and it cools down nicely at night.  No humidity like back in Ottawa.

 
 This is Rita, the resident cat at the Salt Spring Inn and Restaurant.

Yesterday I taught a dyeing class at the Fair Grounds, a place where we were not worried about getting messy.
 

View from the Fair Grounds.
 
 My accommodations are deep in the woods, down a long and winding road. It is oh so quiet :-) After class it is nice to hang out in one of the hammocks on the porch.
 
There I have a view of birds at the bird feeder

and the many deer that stroll by.
 
After the first day's class I had the pleasure of shopping at the ArtCraft Gallery. I highly recommend it. It is packed with hand-made items by artists and crafters of the Southern Gulf Islands.
.
 
Today I started teaching my 3-day "Inspired by Nature, Designed by You" class. I have students from as far away as Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Smithers, BC.

We all took an extended lunch today to visit the famous Salt Spring Saturday Market.



 
The market is a great place for young entrepreneurs, like this one, performing to raise money to purchase a new violin.
 
 
 
Of course there are many delightful things to eat too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine