ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Village of Ansouis

Ah, Ansouis, a sleepy little village, and one of the "plus beaux villages de France". With a population of about 1,000 you can enjoy walks through the narrow streets without battling any crowds at all. Ansouis is reminiscent of the villages that you see in Peter Mayle's film "A Year in Provence". Quiet and quite real without the throngs of tourists.

The town is built on top of a rocky knoll, where a chateau (castle) looks out over the Luberon.




The streets are narrow and winding, and did I mention quiet?

We saw more cats in Ansouis than any other village, probably due to the quietness!


Blue doors and windows.
Green ones too. 


The beautiful Eglise Saint Martin.

Across from the church, we found a local art show taking place. Guess what? I came home with two small paintings.
The lavender fields painting is by Laurence Eli, Could I possibly leave it behind?

Port of Cassis was painted by Pierre Bonnefoy . We did not drive as far as the Port of Cassis, but this painting reminded me so much of many places I have visited in the Mediterranean, most particularly, the Island of Crete in Greece.

Canopies of plane trees line the street on the way in and out of the village.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine