ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Monday, May 9, 2016

Four Days in Saskatchewan

As I write this, I am also madly packing to head to Fergus, Ontario tomorrow for a lecture and three days of teaching with the Grand Quilt Guild. Only yesterday I returned from four days in Saskatchewan. I was lucky enough to be able to fit in a brief visit with my friend Anna Hergert and her husband Colin, who live on a lake near Moose Jaw. They showed me around a bit, as it has been 32 years since I've been to Saskatchewan.

It was a thrill to come across an iconic prairie sight: a grain elevator. There are not too many of these around anymore.

Anna's studio is large and bright and looks out on a lake. If I had one like it, I probably wouldn't ever want to leave home again!


We went out one evening to photograph sunsets.

The smoke from the fires in Fort McMurray, Alberta, had already reached the area.

I spent two days with the Prairie Piecemakers Guild in Regina. The first afternoon we hung my show in preparation for my lecture that night. I think this is a fantastic way to show the quilts as people can already look at them when they walk into the room before the meeting. I had also not seen my work all together like that since I had a solo show! Here you can see the hanging team.

There were 20 students in my "In Full Bloom" class the next day. 


Lots of progress was made on poppies and peonies. I forgot to take photos at the end of the day, but managed to get one of Yvette's peony when she shared it on Facebook.

Big thanks to everyone who was so helpful! Especially Yvette, Jacquie, and Shannon, who drove me around, procured lunches and espressos and helped me schlepp my big bags from hotel to show, hotel to class and vice versa.

I'll be back in a few days with a report from Fergus.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy each of tour trips! I wish I could participate in one of your classes, but, I'm in Spain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that you enjoy reading about my teaching trips D.PatchTree. I wish you could participate too. Maybe one day I will get to teach in Spain. I did teach in France a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy following along on your trips. I have to admit I'm a little envious of Anna's studio, what a beautiful place to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my travels I meet a number of people with large studios Jo, but few are as dedicated as Anna, proving that it is the studio between the ears that counts the most :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see that grain elevator; we have a very few here in AB too...and I just knew that was Anna's studio! (grin) She was my first art quilting teacher...and continue to admire her and her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing a grain elevator is pretty special Margaret. You were fortunate to have Anna as a teacher; she is much-loved by her students.

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine