ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Monday, December 19, 2016

In the Studio and Outdoors

Christmas 2016 is quickly approaching, and I've been busy baking numerous batches of shortbread. In addition, I created my second in the Smoke bush series. It's a triptych, on the chartreuse green background I originally planned to use. There might be a few small changes to come, but for the most part, this is the final version.

I will need some time to think about how I am going to quilt the above piece. I want more of an impression than a completely realistic piece I'm also trying to come up with a clever name for this series. In the mean time, I will start quilting the first piece that is more realistic due to the veins. Looks like I have lots of thread colours that will work!

I've been journaling a bit more. Here's my latest pen & ink drawing with watercolour. It is based on a photo I took at Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, a few years ago.

Sunday was cold, but the sunlight made me want to go outside and photograph. I took my car and drove around some of the country roads a few minutes from my home. Between 3 and 4 pm the sun was lower in the sky, so the light was magical. It also allowed me to capture some wonderful shadows.








These two are very similar but I couldn't decide between the two!


As the sun lowered, sometimes I found the snow actually looked like golden sand!




Since I probably won't be blogging again before Christmas, I'd like to take this time to wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, and a wonderful time with friends and family.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you Elaine. Have a great time with family and friends. Love your photographs and artwork. Look forward to seeing what you create in 2017

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS post Elaine! I LOVE what you're doing with the Smokebush!! It is a FAB plant, is it not,,,Ours was not great this year but in spring, I'll whack it back and hope for a better show next year. I'm at the hosp this AM awaiting treatment on my hand:-( BOO! You've inspired me . Gotta start up again SOON, have a wonderful Christmas. Be safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your Smoke Bush series. The winter photos are incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine