ELAINE QUEHL, Quilt Artist, Teacher, Dyer, Designer

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Celebrating Canada's 150th Canada Day Weekend in Vancouver, Part 1

In my more mature years I am getting better at taking care of myself, so for this trip I booked a few days off between teaching bookings. I finished teaching in Langley on the eve of Canada Day and so arrived in Vancouver on a beautiful Canada Day morning. I did not participate in any of the festivities celebrating our 150 years of Confederation because I don't like crowds. After a few days of teaching I needed some quiet time.

It was a short walk from my hotel to English Bay in the west end of downtown.

Like many west coast beaches there were logs strewn along the beach providing a convenient place to sit. And sit I did.

Just across from the beach is a fascinating art installation by Chinese artist Yue Minjun, called "A-Maze-Ing Happiness". Life size interpretations of the artist himself are standing around in a maze formation laughing. You can't help but laugh.



You can read more about the art work and artist here. Click on the image and an image large enough to read will open up.


I met and had lunch with my friend Neera on Granville Island one day. I forgot to mention in my last blog post that I had a chance to catch up with good friends Neera and Jean at lunch on my first day in Richmond. Both are textile artists and we used to have a small support group running when they lived in Ottawa. Here's the view of downtown Vancouver from the restaurant.

We enjoyed a visit to Maiwa Supply store, a mecca for textile lovers who love to alter the surface of fabric with dyes and paints.



I had researched indie coffee shops before leaving home, and visited a few of the top rated coffee houses in Vancouver. At the #1 (on TripAdvisor), I found a lineup out the door and down the stairs. At Revolver Coffee I found a bunch of coffee snobs like me, and great coffee! The prices were no more expensive than at Starbucks. I really love the shapes and gradation in size of these pour over coffee stations.

I visited several bakeries, and my favorite was Pure Bread.

I mean just look at the selection! Everything is made from scratch with the best quality ingredients.

I found the perfect flourless chocolate cake. It was just what I was looking for.

I also enjoyed the availability of food from a wide variety of cultures in Vancouver.

On previous trips to Vancouver I had not visited the Museum of Anthropology. This time I did and wondered why I had waited so long? On a beautiful day I can have a very hard time focusing my attention at a museum, and seldom last more than an hour. I lasted two at this Museum.

I saw so many amazing first nations totem poles and art, including those from Haida Gwai. But what blew me away most was the cedar carving, "The Raven and the First Men", by Haida artist Bill Reid. It represents a creation myth about the first people. You can read more about it below.

I became aware of Bill Reid's work when I visited Haida Gwai ten years ago, and also because there is a huge sculpture in the entrance of the Canadian Museum of History, immediately across the river from my city of Ottawa, in Gatineau Quebec.






If I had only seen this carving, it alone would have been worth the price of admission. I took a lot of photos in the Museum (allowed without flash) and perhaps when I get home and feel more rested I will share more.

My next blog post will focus on some of the gardens of Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your posts are important to me. Due to a huge amount of SPAM on my blog recently, I have decided to moderate comments, at least for the time being. Please be patient, your post will be approved as soon as I can get to it.
Elaine